Dr Stephanie Barrett
Consultant Physician and Rheumatologist
- President of the Royal Society of Medicine, Rheumatology Division, 2017-18
- Member of Council and Trustee at the Royal Society of Medicine
- Member of Council, Rheumatology Section of the Royal Society of Medicine
Sub Specialities: Inflammatory arthritis, Osteoporosis, Vitamin D deficiency, Gout, Womens’ Health, Workplace related limb pain, Widespread pain and fibromyalgia
About Dr Stephanie Barrett
Her background was as the clinical lead rheumatologist at the Chelsea and Westminster Hospital for 8 years. She led a large team of doctors, 4 nurse specialists, physiotherapists and podiatrists, where she set up an early inflammatory arthritis clinic, osteoporosis clinic, joint paediatric clinic and joint injection clinic.
Dr Stephanie Barrett followed on from this, by setting up in independent practice at the Chelsea Rheumatology Clinic, where she is the Medical Director. She has a strong interest in the resolution of painful musculoskeletal conditions and believes in thorough examination and investigation to reach the correct diagnosis followed by targeting effective treatment rapidly.
She is interested in prevention and effective treatment of osteoporosis, where bones have become thin, and is passionate in the prevention of fractures, which may have devastating effects on the quality of life of the sufferer. Gout is also a frequently neglected condition, with now very effective treatments. These are necessary to improve the cardiac survival in patients with this condition, as recent research shows that untreated gout may predispose to heart attacks.
New treatments are now available for the pain of fibromyalgia. This is also cause for hope in patients, with this refractory distressing condition.
Dr Stephanie Barrett has been included in all the published Tatler’s 250 top doctors guides.
Womens’ Health issues are especially important to Dr Stephanie Barrett and her female colleagues involved in this project.
Dr Stephanie Barrett was also elected to Council at The Independent Doctors Federation (IDF). She lectures abroad and in the UK and is also a trained appraiser for the IDF.
Dr Stephanie Barrett is a professional rheumatologist based in London
As a Consultant physician and rheumatologist Dr Stephanie Barrett is well positioned in the industry to ensure each of her clients gets the finest treatment.
If you require help and treatment for a rheumatological condition then Dr Stephanie Barrett may be the person you’re referred to and you can be assured her clinics provide direct and therapeutic support to help treat and manage your condition.
Professional Treatment from your Rheumatologist in London
Through liaising with other professionals and focusing on the specific condition you have, and its location, Dr Barrett may refer you to another therapist or recommend further treatment from another professional. This is due to patients responding differently to treatments and some being more effective than others dependent on the individual case.
- MBChB, Liverpool University School of Medicine
- MRCP (London)
- MD thesis, Liverpool University School of Medicine
- Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians, London
- Graham White Scholarship
- Roaf Travelling Scholarship
- Final Year Clinical Medicine Prize
- ARC Junior Clinical Fellowship
- British Society for Rheumatology
- Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians (London)
- Royal Society of Medicine
- British Medical Association (Previously elected to BMA private practice committee)
- Medical Protection Society
- Chelsea Clinical Society
- Independent Doctors Federation (Previously elected member of Council) www.idf.uk.net
- Consultant Rheumatologist and General Physician
Chelsea and Westminster Hospital NHS Trust 1996 – 2004
- Honorary Senior Lecturer Imperial College School of Medicine 1997 – 2004
- Royal Free Hospital, Scleroderma Unit: Junior
Clinical Research Fellow (Arthritis and Rheumatism Council Grant) and Senior Registrar in Rheumatology, 1990 – 1993
- Charing Cross/Hammersmith Hospitals Trust
- St Mary’s Hospital, West Middlesex Hospital
- Chelsea and Westminster Hospital 1993 – 1996
Senior Registrar/Research Training
- Lister Hospital and Chelsea Consulting Rooms 2004 – present
Senior Registrar/Research Training